Today was my first day! I have a headache. ;) Well. As I said before today was my first, I had a sit down with one of the unit educators. . . This new unit is going to be welcoming and challenging, I think. It is a very 'tight knit' unit and busy busy busy. Besides the PICU (which we are just a step down from) we have the highest acuities (I don't know how to spell that). The Nurse:Patient ratio is 3:1, which it will be alittle while before they will trust with that many! We care for anything that has to do with the CNS whether it be injury, tumor, defect or trauma..Meaning, shunts, surgeries, vertebral fusions, seizures..etc. Now when I say seizures, this is kinda cool..They have two rooms that are devoted with 24hour videotaping, the patient has electrodes for an EEG feed and they actually induce seizures to diagnose the area of the brain that is causing the anomaly, but this is just the first step, the area of the brain is then removed..Yes I said removed!. Is that not totally sweet? From a nurse's standpoint anyway. We also care for all traumas (ortho, abuse -grrr-..). There is a rehab gym that has all sorts of 'toys' for rehabilitation (especially with the brain injuries), and because children are so resilient, they improve amazingly well. Can you hear my excitement??
She said that there is a ton of opportunity for learning because there is soo much to learn (smile). Sounds like I will be geting to know families and will be in a position to help heal! I'm thrilled, but I nervous as well. I was told that if you see it on the news, most likely we will have it on our unit. I am stoked to be part of this unit, I think it will be a good change for me. Not that life wasn't good at DRMC (I love you guys), but this really is tremendous for me and I will grow grow grow! YeAAAH. But my heart will always belong to you West1!!
Monday, August 11, 2008
NeuroScience Trauma Unit
Posted by Birkka at 4:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hey glad to see you made it and your house looks great. You will have to keep us updated on the neuroscience unit. It sounds like a challenge, but a good experience. We will miss you too, I will miss my lunch partner :)
Hey Katie!!! I am glad to see that you guys are settling in nice!! Your new job sounds like soo much fun! I have always wanted to work with kids.. I hope all goes well!! I miss ya bullying me at night!! Its just not the same :) Keep in touch!!
Katie,
Congrats on working at PCMC. I think you will love it here. I am working in Same Day Surgery. We are the lucky ones that don't work holidays or weekends. I hope I will see you around. BTW your hair looks cute the way you cut it. Hope you have a good orientation experience.
Jen
Katie -I'm soooo excited for you it sounds like you & your family are doing great your house is awesome & the new kitty kat is too cute. Not to mention your adorable kids!!! We miss ya tons here!! You still crack me up with your cute little stories. I know you'll do great in your new unit they'll learn to love ya just like we all instantly did here!! Stay in touch!! LATER... -DES
Post a Comment